Wednesday, December 29, 2010

When a TIA causes you to be MIA, Something Has to Change

As my body began to shut down and I felt my self slipping into a place where I could hear everyone and everything around me but they couldn't understand me, I felt a tear run down my face. I knew that momentarily I would be unable to really communicate with the world around me and in that moment I remembered the times before when I found myself in that place. As is being unable to speak were not enough, I also couldn't move my left side. Paralysis...

I prayed that I was experiencing a TIA rather than a stroke. TIAs are also called ministrokes. They resemble a stroke but the syptoms dissipate over time. They are believed to be caused by blood clots that shoot to the brain. They create a variety of impacts, but the bottom line is something has to change. There is a dis-ease that is created in your body telling you that something has to change!

I cannot count how many times I have heard in the last 48 hours that I need to slow down. The reality is that I had slowed down and gotten a quite different result than anticipated. I may not be medical doctor but I do realize that somethings has to change.

I had to sit down and begin to reflect on my relationships, past and current and their impact on my life and my health. Ultimately I realized that some relationships although they are not bad in and of themselves create some stuff in MY life that is BAD for ME. Something has to change.

I realize that people bring with them all of their issues like I bring mine but at the end of the day you have to be able to recognize when something has to change. I'm not saying toss out all of your relationships because as long as their are people there will be problems and issues but something has to change.

If the way you talk to me negatively affects me, then something has to change. If your assessment of my decisions results in me questioning myself, then something has to change. If your presence shifts my mood in the words of a good friend of mine, then something has to change. But I'm not expecting YOU to change because I can't control that. What I can control is ME!

I can control whether or not you talk to me. I can control whether or not I allow what you say to cause me to doubt me. I can control how I respond to your presence when your presence is inevitable. In other words, I can control ME! Something has to change and that something is ME! If you find yourself in a situation where something has to change, then begin by looking at yourself! You can only control YOU! Start NOW because something has to change!

Changing Even as You Read,

Dr. VG

No comments:

Post a Comment