Saturday, December 18, 2010

Trees and the Trimmings

You know that it is Christmas time because you see the trees all lit up and all of the trimmings. I can remember as a child being so excited about putting up the Christmas tree and decorating it. As an adult I can remember being so excited about putting up the Christmas tree and decorating it. The funny thing is as an adult I wanted the tree to be perfect with all silver and blue or red and gold ornaments. Yes, of course, there would be some of the personal ornaments that the kids made at school, but I needed everything to be symmetrical and PERFECT!

I wanted people to come in and say, "Oh your tree is beautiful!" My Aunt Carrie always had trees like that. They looked like they had come out of the Home and Garden magazine and she was my idol. I always wanted to grow up to be like her because she was beautiful and well-put together. She looked like a model and her trees looked like models too! And that was my goal!

Well, we haven't put our tree up yet because we are in transition. So I'm trying to deal with not having total control over the TREE and the TRIMMINGS! You see, I understand that I have some control issues and I'm a perfectionist. Not a very good combination when you are celebrating with other people. So I'm struggling with this dilemma. Now the kids are excited about the tree and the trimmings. They are ready to put it up and get to decorating!

So now I have to let go of the tree! I have to purchase it and let them have their way with it. It is hard to let go, but there is also freedom in it. I know that this tree will exude the beauty of youth even if everything doesn't match. It will be alive and full of energy even if everything is not symmetrical. I know that it bring smiles to all of the children even if it is not PERFECT!

They will view the tree much like God views us even though we are not PERFECT! So stop worrying about the PERFECT tree and trimmings and put up the tree and let the chips fall where they may! Who knows you may end up with the most beautiful tree ever just because you let go!!!

Happy Tree Trimming!!

For more information on how to let go visit http://www.drveronicaglass.com/ and get a copy of my book, Use Your Buckets!

Expectantly,

Dr. VG

No comments:

Post a Comment